Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tourist

I envy the people who become part of the new cities they move to.

People who embrace the change that comes with the change.

Read a beautifully written article by Gauri about Kolkata and the evolution of her relationship with the city.

People say cities have their own unique personality. And your interaction with their unique traits redefines you as a person. Each city carries with it its unique smell, distinctive sound, individual voice, singular touch. And with time you immerse yourself in it and become a tide of its flow.

I wonder how that happens.

I have lived in many cities but somehow my own voice muted any other sound around me.

I lived in Pune and was never touched by its spirituality. I lived in Delhi and never heard its boisterous voice. I missed Mumbai’s smell of sea. I never tasted Bangalore’s sweetness and never saw the vibrant colors of Panjab.

I look back at all those years and the tragedy of life stares back at me.

There are multitudes of worlds around me and in this myriad is a world that is mine, is me. And every time I see a new world I have two options, either bring my world to the new world or fight against the new world to protect my world.

I chose to fight and unfortunately won each time. I surrounded myself with the known, the comfortable and the familiar.

I have never have had friend in any of those cities who was a local. I moved with outsiders like me, their own microscopic worlds no threat to mine. We all saw this unique world from outside.

I was probably a tourist in each of these cities, clicking my pictures for the photo album to be
shared with friends & family once the vacation was over.

I know now what I should have known then and I still live in a new city.

Will I change?

Unfortunately no.

For me there is now only one world, world of my creation.

Microscopic, insignificant but mine.

Resident of my asylum & confined for life.

6 comments:

Sue said...

secret to happiness: realising your weaknesses/faults/inadequacies and being totally fine with it, without requiring any change... lol

zendagi migzara said...

well i see nothing wrong with it. friends aren't forever. family is the real treasure and it does not matter if you go out there and do not make friends.

Gauri Gharpure said...

am glad u liked the post.. this one is well introspected, but towards the conclusion your approach limits the possibilities of what could be yours, in memory or in real time... I also feel, the post could have done w/o the conclusion.. (for it happens tht once u deny any possibility in writing, your mind tries to stick to it out of ego..)

sadak chhap said...

Honestly I don’t know anyone who knows about any other world other than the world of their own creation and if anybody claims to know about it, it is through the perspective of their own created world. We all are complete strangers to each other…

sudip bhattacharya said...

i don't know where i come from, i don't know where will i go.
and to an extent i like that uncertainity. never bound to a place or it's people.

Lost & found said...

The scary part is that i can relate to whats written. You made me think.....there is still time to put pull the shutters up and take a stock of the world around you.

Whats a life if its not filled with experiences...what will be there to write if there are no new chapters..Have often seen it in the gathering of fellow advertising people..every time they meet its always the same thing in the same perspective.

Isnt it strange tht the very professionals who help brands charter new paths, expand customer base and increase market share..are happy to remain in that stagnant world of familiar topics and friends.

Have i too fallen into this trap?