Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sanjay Dutt

For the last two days there is debate on every news channel whether the court verdict on Sanjay Dutt is fair.

Let me say in the beginning that I belong to the group that belives he should have been freed and my opinion is biased since I have been his fan for the last 20 years.

I have two rationale for believing this-

Rationale 1: The purpose of law is not to punish the individual but the act. This means either there should be an action of malice or an intent of malice.

Now it is easy to say that how can one prove whether an action would or would not lead to the wrongdoing (in this case Sanjay Dutt possessing the gun).

In normal circumstances (with common citizens) it might be difficult to differentiate but with a celebrity, whose every action has been in public eye for the last 48 years, it is easier to establish the intent.

Also unlike Salman "Black Buck" Khan where the illegal activity actually caused harm, there is no reason to believe that it would have led to any action.

The history of entertainment from Sinatara to Sanjay is full of such stupid follies.

I firmly believe that the very foundation of justice has been ignored through this judgement.

Rationale 2: There should be different laws for such entertainers. As simple as that.

I apologise if I have offended anyone.

No comments: